
Ahhh the cruise.
Inquiring minds want to know.
Well, we came, we saw, we conquered.
We decided to take this adventure as an experiment; to determine whether or not we are a "cruise family" as Mike put it. You see, his side of the family are cruise-aholics. On any given month of the year, there is likely a member or two of the family on one cruise or another. We have been invited to cruise along, but have always declined. One reason being we cannot afford the cruises they go on and the other reason (actually 3 reasons) being, well you can probably guess. So, we (and by "we" I mean Mike and then eventually a reluctant me) decided to find an affordable family friendly cruise to try it out. Well, we succeeded in the affordable category, but the family-friendly...not so much. This particular cruise was more of a party boat. But we made lots of great memories, experienced lots of firsts and enjoyed both excursions immensely.
The beginning of the journey. The kids did GREAT on the flight down. Sammy got a new Leapster for his birthday, so that kept him occupied. Lucky coincidence or genius planning of an anxious mother?? Hmmmmmmm. We also bit the bullet and "invested" in a portable DVD player just before the trip, so they enjoyed a movie for part of the ride.
Sadie was a bit high maintenance, but that is to be expected from a non-stop toddler being restrained for 2.5 hours. We were hoping she would sleep SOME of the time, but no such luck. Needless to say, she enjoyed many snacks between Baltimore and Miami.
The kids waiting for the luggage. They were just too cute. I so enjoyed the time leading up to this trip; all the anticipatory questions and speculation. Asking if "that" was "our" plane each time they saw one in the air. Last trip to NY, we were driving on the Belt Parkway, just as we went over the Verrazano, and they saw a barge out in the water. They asked "is that our boat?" And each step of the journey brought wide eyes and gleeful giggles and expressions. I am so grateful for the memories this adventure provided. Coming from a family that took vacation for what? 4 hours each Summer to drive to the Montauk lighthouse and back, this was truly a treasure for me as a mom.
Sitting on Thea's pull-out loft bed. I bet you all are wondering how in the world a family of 5 fit in a cruise cabin. Let me tell you, it was NOT easy. There was a giNORMous bed taking up most of the floor space, 2 pull down loft beds for the kids and a crib for Sadie. The crib was a bit of a waste since I figure she spent all of 12 hours sleeping in it. The rest of the time she enjoyed slumbering with us in the afore mentioned giant bed. I actually enjoyed sleeping all together. Since I am a self-proclaimed sleep nazi, I was quite anxious about this element of the trip and relieved that it turned out to be fun.
Sooooo, I KNOW what I am about to write is going to sound ludicrous to some of you. No more ludicrous than it sounded to me when I first heard the idea of it. I thought WHO would do THAT????
Mike Rohrer and his wife. That's who!! Like I said, I thought it was CRAZY, however Mike immediately expressed interest. OK, here it is. WeleftthekidsontheboatinchildcarewhileweenjoyedadayinKeyWest.
There.
I said it.
It sounds much crazier than it is. We considered how the day would go if we toured Key West as a family and we both agreed that ALL would be miserable. It was a very hot and humid day and there is NOTHING for kids in Key West. At least not in the time period we had in Key West. So the kids enjoyed an air conditioned 2.5 hours making crafts, watching movies and playing with other kids while we rented a scooter and saw the sights. It was WONDERFUL. It is one of many times that I was grateful that Mike and I look at situations differently.
We stopped to get Starbucks just before going into Margharitaville. The coffee on the ship was horrendous. Oh, we also got a parking ticket while we were inside. Good times!!! What a way to say "Welcome to Key West!"
On the trolley on our way back to the ship. We liked the atmosphere of Key West. I would definitely go back for a long weekend some time.
My awesome kids. This picture just makes me smile for SO MANY reasons. This is at the base of the water slides that Thea was too short to go on. Not cool. Sammy made up for her loss by going down about 472 million times. He didn't want to leave the ship.
Formal night in the dining hall.
Every night while we were at dinner the housekeeping crew would come to our room to tidy and cozy it up. Upon returning each night, there to greet us, was a "towel animal", dimmed lights, turned down beds, candies and an itinerary of the next days events (none of which were suitable for our family). But that's another post. This was one of my favorite aspects of the cruise. I loved having the cabin "cleaned" twice a day. And I loved coming back to such an inviting room each night.Peek-A-Boo!!!
Thea by a mexican fountain. Doesn't it just sound so much more exciting when it has Mexican in front of it? It was just a fountain that she HAAAD to sit on because she was tired of standing in line. We were waiting for the bus to take us to the beach club excursion in Cozumel. We booked an all-inclusive excursion to Plya Mia Beach Club. Our price included and air-conditioned bus ride, buffet lunch (which was available the whole 6 hours), KID-FRIENDLY pool, beach chairs, umbrellas, various water activities, ice cream and drinks. Mike was beside himself eating the authentic Mexican tacos and rice. I enjoyed my only soda of the trip.The weather was perfect and the environment was family friendly which was quite refreshing.










13 comments:
So glad you had a great time. It sounds like a fun time as a family, you are brave to do it and you were rewarded with GREAT memories.
Also glad you got home safe.
Awww- it looks AWESOME!!! I keep trying to Alfred to take me on one, and he has yet to be persuaded....
WOW! That is awesome. Thank you thank you thank you! What a wonderful looking trip. It sounds like you'd do it again? I am SOOOO glad you and Mike got away too on your own! I am really really happy for you all! It's nice to know that you CAN have three kids and CAN take them out of the house...all at one time...
:) Hope to hear more about it in person!
My favorite picture.......
Sammy in the Hammock....priceless!
Amina
My favorite picture.. Sadie in the closet!! love it! Did the kids enjoy the child care? Glad you guys bit the bullet and put them in there... you need some adult time!
You are such a great blog-writer! You should do it more often!! >wink<
I loved your description of everything-it was like we were along with you. :)
The picture of Sadie in the closet is adorable. I have similar ones of a baby Joshua in the closets at our resort in Spain....isn't it great they're so easy to keep pacified?
love that Sadie would pose with that weird looking statue guy. I want to know that girl!!! Loved, loved talking with her last night.
I'm proud of you G and your cruise experience! Your a new woman! Ha!
so as soon as I finished reading this last night I went and started researching cruises. Never considered it before, but you totally won me over... not sure if we'll make it happen or not, but it sounded delightful! How many days/nights were you gone?
I am sorry it wasn't kid friendly- but those are a lot of really great pictures :) I am still laughing about the image of my head of Thea pounding at a pinata with her bare hands. I don't know why I just laugh so hard at THEA doing that! :) hahaha
Gail, Sammy LOVED the day care, Thea not so much. She didn't want to go after that first time, but she also wasn't feeling well most of the trip. She was willing to go the last night and when I came to pick her up she cried. So yes, they liked. I must warn though, Sadie was NOT able to go in most of the time. Too young. And when she was allowed, we had to pay. That whole situation was weird.
Kate, not sure I would do it again. If we did, I would have to be sure it was a kid-friendly ship.
Tara, maybe because the pinata was almost as big as she??????
AV, I have a forever mental snapshot of Sammy in the hammock. It was a cool moment. He just seemed so grown up.
Crystal, we stayed 4 nights. It wasn't too short or too long.
a ticket? no good deed goes unpunished huh? glad you and mike got some alone time though!!
love, cousin jodi
Wasn't the Cruise like 2 months ago...I can't really keep using my High Speed Internet to check your blog for no reason...come on "ShGina"
Post a Comment