Sammy started soccer today. Its not an actual team or league. Its more like a camp, only once a week for 6 weeks. We bought him his first set of cleats, shin guards and soccer shorts last week. It is all just too cute.
I was behind the ball (no pun intended) on signing him up for the "local" league, so we found this program. I think it is going to be really good and I'm glad it worked out this way. The location is about 40 seconds from home. The team league would have been a bit too much of a commitment for our life at the moment. Practice 2 nights a week before Mike gets home and games on weekends. Practice and games would be about 20n minutes away.
UUUUuummm, can you say looney bin? That's where I would be by mid-season.
Anyways, this program is called UK Elite. The kids are coached by a British professional soccer player. Sounds kinda snooty? I agree. Which is why I was hesitant at first to join. But Mike thought it sounded perfect. You see, it is all about teaching the kids basic, ball handling skills through imaginary play. It was rather cute. Coach Dave, with his British accent, had the kids dribbling their balls to "Chic Fil-A" for a milk shake, then off to get some "pizza" in the opposite corner of the field. They even had to dribble around and look under cones to "find Nemo". This is such a great way to start, especially for a son of a soccer player. Sammy did great following instructions and dribbling to the chosen locationst. I though we were going to have a problem when the kids realized they weren't gonna get a milk shake after all. But they did just fine.
Sammy and his little friend are in it together. And I get to hang out with her mom, my friend, on the sideline. Although, I think I should use this opportunity to be friendly to the other moms. I am excited about these new circumstances that will take me out of my bubble and give me the chance to make new friends. Not that I am looking to replace my friends, but I have been praying for the opportunity and more importantly the courage to share the love of Christ. That isn't so challenging when all your friends love the Lord. So, if you wish, add that to the list of things I have asked you to pray for. Courage to share my faith.
You may be surprised to know that I have a phobia about introducing myself. Once I get to know you, its hard to get rid of me, but the initial greeting process is TERRIFYING for me. So, yeah, courage. Thanks.
3 comments:
I like that soccer concept. It sounds way more fun for 4 year olds than normal soccer. Most of them end up rolling in the grass half of the game anyway! :)
We are growing more amazed by the minute with Caleb's vocabulary. We have to REALLY watch what we say though, because he parrots everything!! :)
I thought you said soccer on your messge...that's great! But i also thought you said something else, but can't remember what it was. Hope we can finally catch up. Sorry we keep missing each other.
Soccer Great! Tried it not for us so don't have any advice on that. But i will say that Sammy is an absolute natural!! You can tell just by the way he wears his shin guards! About introducing yourself, you could know someone your whole life and not know everything about them(never knew that we have that fear in common) So what I do is, if it is someone that I think I would like to get to know better, I kinda don't pressure myself for 1st meeting introductions, I wait for the 2nd or 3rd encounter and you know try a little eye contact, maybe a smile and Hello, and see what happens ,if it doesn't happen then maybe next time, or it wasn't meant to be. I did start out serious on this subject and now think I have helped you meet a boy that you like in 7th grade!!HAHAHA
Post a Comment