Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sammy's First Day of Preschool

My little boy started school this week. I have been looking forward to this day for quite a while now. The day came and I do believe I was more excited than he was. I laid out his clothes the night before in anticipation. I was up early with that fluttery feeling in my stomach, that EVERY first day of school throughout my whole life, brought. The morning air even had that first day of school scent.


Anyway, the day came, Sammy went, all was well.
It's funny. A lot of parents experience this transition with much anxiety and fear. They wonder how their child will do. I realized this weekend that there was none of that for us. Sammy has always been able to adjust so easily to new situations and environments. He barely even acknowledged me leaving as there were kids (literally) screaming and lunging for their parents as Ms. Carolyn pulled them away. I am thankful for that. It would be so very hard to walk away if he was upset.

I look forward to walking through this year with him. Helping him learn his letters, hearing about all the fun children's books they will read. They've already read The Kissing Hands and Rainbow Fish. I just love children's literature. We have to help him work on a "ME" poster for show and tell next week. How fun is that? I just wish I could be a fly on the wall in his class to experience all these things with him.
See, I told you I was excited.


I will say I have been emotional lately about how fast Sammy is growing up. Today I went through his clothes and divvied them out for various friends and family. I should have done this a long time ago but I just wasn't ready. I can picture him in EVERY one of the outfits I looked at today and it brought back so many memories of his infancy. He was such a fun, easy and happy baby. It IS hard to believe he is going to be 4 in a few weeks.
I am proud of my little man.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ABSOLUTELY ADORABLY PRECIOUS!!!!!
THE PHOTOS OF SAMMY GOING TO SCHOOL AND JUST BEING SUCH A BIG BOY BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES(WE KNOW THAT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH)HOW ABOUT THE ONE OF HIM WALKING AWAY? TEAR JERKER!! WHAT A BLESSING TO BE ABLE TO EXPERIENCE ALL OF THESE DIFFERENT EMOTIONS ONLY A MOTHER CAN FEEL!! Sammy is Beautiful!!
Ps if you're so curious about the classroom stuff you could always be a teacher!! lol Amina

Edie said...

How cute! He is all grown up! I understand the feeling of wanting to experience all of what he is. I am totally going to feel the same way! And then you ask them when they get home,"How was school, what did you do". And they say," It was good , we did stuff." Great...thanks...

The Tates said...

My eyes watered a little reading about it. How were yours when you drove away?
It is hard to be sad when you know that he is happy.

Anonymous said...

way to go sammy boy... love cousin jodi

Anonymous said...

soooo I made a mistake... you may see some extra traffic today... I was waiting to upload my post for today to a carnival at Rock in My Dryer, I had copied my link ready to paste it. While I was waiting for the post to be up so I could add my link, I went to google reader and added your blog to my google reader so I can now read your blog right away when you update new posts. BUT when I went to link my post on the carnival, I just hit paste and when I did I accidentally pasted a link to your blog. OOPS!! SO if you get a lot of unexpected traffic today with people looking for Life at the Circus, that is why.... sorry about that.

I am looking forward to being able to read your posts more regularly. I feel like we have such very similar worlds and I enjoy your writing so much!

Anonymous said...

yea so ignore that last comment... my dear hubby showed me how to fix my blunder... guess I am not quite as tech savvy as I thought I was!!

The crew

The crew

About Me

My name is Gina. I am Mike's wife and mom to Sammy Thea and Sadie Ann. Best "job" in the world. I start this blog to share the joys and struggles of my life as a stay at home mom who seeks to fall more in love with Jesus with every passing day.