Thursday, September 18, 2008

Treasured Find!

My last trip to NY provided me with a long lost piece of my childhood. We were all in my parents' kitchen when my sister popped up from digging in one of the cabinets exclaiming
"Look what I found!"

I nearly jumped out of my skin with nostalgic glee.

She had found the plate that I ate off of when I was a wee one, for as long as I can remember. It brought me back to a time of innocence and make believe.

Do you know that time?

A time when your Dad was the biggest, strongest one in the neighborhood. Bigger than life even. When your mom had magic kisses and all-healing hugs. A time when you really transformed into Laura Ingalls by simply slipping on a blue, floral "Sunday dress". A time when you began your day of serious play while the dew was still on the lawn and you didn't stop until the street lights came on and the fireflies (or lightning bugs as we called them) were lighting up the sky. A time when your dinner was just on the table for you without even a consideration. A time of real Saturday morning cartoons; Muppett Babies, Smurfs, The Littles and Snorks.......

The details of your "a time" may be a tad different than mine, but I think you get the idea. Care to share?

16 comments:

The Queen said...

I LOVED those cartoon shows! Especially the Snokels (or whatever they were called) and the Smurfs. I guess I was also a big fan of Sesame Street when I was a little little girl. My brother and I used to get up SO early on Sat. morning that the only thing on would be fuzzy tv or Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. But then eventually Mighty Mouse would make it on, and then the more current shows would follow. We LOVED Sat. mornings. I think my Mom would let us watch all the way through noon (and now I know why...).

The Perreca Family said...

Ahh- yes, those were the good ol' days!!

Diana said...

how about a time when our parents would let us go out to play in the neighborhood and not see us for hours and they didn't worry. Long gone are those days in most cases. I wish our kids could grow up like that. But, times are different. Unless we all moved to South Dakota.

Did you ever watch Kid's Incorporated? I think it was on Sunday's though. So, only if you were playing hooky from church.

Jill said...

Man, my growing up years were similar to yours. How about when your mom's kiss made everything better? Or you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that you would be Miss America when you grew up?

The Tates said...

You cold move to Wis...I mean Wyoming. Kids run around safely all the time. I am surprised you didn't mention your 'friends'. "edie and ??" I can't remember.
P.S. DO you remember the Raggedy Ann and Andie movie?

The Tates said...

I forgot...Love the new picture of your entire family!

Anonymous said...

gina, i have such fond memories of doing some of those things you mention with you when i would come stay a few days on summer vacation or school recesses. i was going to the house every day a few weeks ago to pick joe up for work and i though about how many times you& i and sometimes Skippy walked around park view circle (since we were not allowed to go any further than that) and how much fun we had as kids. we would take the little path behind the corner house on our way back and end up in the back yard. i used to love to sleep over your house and play from dawn to dusk on the grass. good times!
love, cousin jodi

Gina said...

So fun to hear all of these. I thought of mentioning Edie and Otta, but I figured NO ONE else had them as their friends.
We walked around PVC so much because we were also bored to death. I thought of the little path too, because that was as close to "Walnut Grove" as I could get as I pretended to be Laura Ingalls. It was my own little forest. I spent hours back there. Good times, very good times.

Anonymous said...

when we were bored we also went to aunt marys house up the block. i remember walking into the wrong house one time since they all looked exactly alike. lol. did we also go up the block to play with Gail? not sure what freind that was. the last house on the left (the red one)??
jodi

Gina said...

Kristen and Nikki.

Anonymous said...

With every entry of your blog I just can't help but think of how much more fun everything would be if Mom were still here......

Anonymous said...

oh ok thank you for clearing that up for me. did we play with gail as well? on our bikes with the banana seats and our roller skates(i have pics of us on the front lawn) am, it would be more fun with my aunt dottie ann here! she would contribute memories we didn't even know we had.. miss her =0(

cousin jodi

Gina said...

No. No Gail. I didn't meet Gail until Middle School. There was Melissa and Suzy, but they didn't lived in the red house. ????

Anonymous said...

Ok got it! no gail, no red house. lol

cousin jodi.

Tiffany said...

i just bought the smurfs season 1...yeah i probably shouldn't admit that, but i loved it!!

Anonymous said...

Reading about you and your cousin Jodi’s “adventures” made me realize how SAD it is that my girls are growing up without any cousins to share wonderful times and memories with :(

The crew

The crew

About Me

My name is Gina. I am Mike's wife and mom to Sammy Thea and Sadie Ann. Best "job" in the world. I start this blog to share the joys and struggles of my life as a stay at home mom who seeks to fall more in love with Jesus with every passing day.